A Flavour Explosion
What better way to celebrate the approach of warmer weather and longer days spent adventuring on and under the water than with my crispy fish tacos? Tacos are one of favourite ways to eat fish. You can hold your taco in one hand leaving the other hand free to hold your cold bevvy. Genius.
With a flavour melody of crispy beer batter, flaky white fish, zingy apple slaw and a lime crema, this recipe delivers a flavour explosion that will guarantee happy taste buds all round. I urge you to give this easy recipe a go, you wont regret!
I used tarakihi I caught from a recent fishing trip in this recipe, but this will work well with most white fish that holds its shape and wont fall apart easily - snapper, gurnard, blue cod, butterfish etc.
Beer Battered Tarakihi
- Approx 500g Tarakihi filllets (or any suitable white fish)
- 1 1/2 cup plain/white flour
- 330ml bottle beer (ice cold and lagers work best)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- Neutral oil for deep frying (canola, sunflower oil, rice bran etc
Zingy Apple Slaw
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix
- 2 apples sliced into matchsticks
- Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Corn tortillas (or you favourite small wraps)
- Lime wedges
This fish tacos recipe might have a few different elements, but don't let that stop you. Overall, this is a really easy and quick recipe that anyone with basic kitchen skills can pull off.
Beer Battered Tarakihi Tacos Recipe
- Combine slaw ingredients, cover and set aside or refrigerate until you're ready to use.
- Combine lime crema ingredients, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Cut fish fillets into suitable sized strips and pat dry.
- Put flour, paprika, salt and pepper into a bowl, pour in beer and whisk until smooth.
- Heat deep fryer or heavy based pot with oil. You can test if it's hot enough by dropping a small blob of batter into the oil - if it bubbles and rises up the oil is ready to go.
- Dip fish into batter, let excess drip off and deep fry until golden brown. Sit the fish pieces on a tray to drain excess oil before serving.
To assemble, warm tortillas, add a generous dollop of zingy slaw, a couple of pieces of beer battered fish, and drizzle with lime crema. Eat immediately and enjoy the freshness and tastiness of these complementary flavours. One is never enough!
This recipe makes about six tacos.